Sunday, July 26, 2009

Annie aka Granny

We received one of those phone calls yesterday. I could tell something was wrong. I was in the other room and I could hear the sorrow in MDR's voice as he listened to a tearful Papa telling him the dreadful news. Papaw and Granny had been in an accident and Granny did not make it. What?!
Mike and I just look at each other. Shock, disbelief, grief, sorrow, and joy all run through you in a time like that. Yes, joy. Annie is with Jesus today. As I stood singing in church this morning, I couldn't help but smile thinking about how our Precious Granny is singing in heaven!

Bob and Annie are Jane's parents. Jane is MDR's stepmom. However, there has never been "step" when it comes to their love! They were/are MDR's grandparents.

The past 24 hours have been bittersweet. Thankful that Annie is with Jesus but mourning the person she was and the impact she had on all of us. Last night MDR went out to be with Papaw for awhile. Elizabeth, Luke, and Isaiah had so many questions. What killed her? Where is she now? Is she asleep? Why did it happen today?
I am so thankful for teachable moments. What a perfect way to tie in scripture to a hard situation. Granny died because there is sin in the world... huh? It all started with Adam and Eve. God told them not to eat fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. They did, they died, and now we die, too. 3 little light bulbs came on. Where is Granny? Her body is at the morgue in the hospital. Her soul is with Jesus. Like Emma? Yes!

For me, personally, my heart aches for Jane. She has been like a mama to me over the years. I KNOW the shock of a parent dying suddenly. (My mom died from a heart attack.)So many emotions will flood through her in the coming days and weeks!

We prayed for Papaw, Grandma, Great Aunt Lorie, and Eric. It was during that prayer that tears began to flow. Lots and lots of tears. Wailing tears, the kind that say, I don't want this to be.... make it better! Hard truths of life...death happens and it hurts.

I have included the brief online newspaper article. Granny was very much loved and will be greatly missed.



Granny and I at her house a couple of years ago.



Ind. 7 crash kills E'town woman, 82
By Brittany Hart Reporter
An Elizabethtown woman died Saturday morning after the vehicle in which she was riding collided with a minivan on Indiana 7, police said.
Anna Burkman, 82, was pronounced dead at Columbus Regional Hospital following the accident at 10:31 a.m., said Bartholomew County Sheriff's Maj. Todd Noblitt.
Burkman was riding passenger in a car driven by her husband, Robert Burkman, 80, of Elizabethtown. The Burkmans' vehicle was traveling north on Indiana 7 and making a left turn onto Legal Tender Road when it collided with a southbound minivan driven by Heather Carmickle, 28, of Columbus, police said.



1 comment:

  1. Karen, I am praying for you and your family. This was a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

    ReplyDelete